The other day, I was working on cleaning up the stuff stored in our basement when I felt a cold draft down my neck. I really don’t like doing clean up chores so an opportunity to do something else was welcome.
Using a LED flashlight, to see better, I started searching for the source of the draft. In a few minutes, I found where the draft was coming in. It was in the corner of the basement where the cement blocks of the basement supports the wood wall of the house. The black tar like material that was supposed to seal the joint was gone.
I tried to picture in my mind what was outdoors at that corner. Then I remembered that it is where our friendly chipmunk has take up house keeping. No wonder he likes to burrow in that spot. He is provided with warmth leaking out of my basement. Plus, it is right near the bird feeder.
Fixing the problem from the inside
If I attacked the problem from the outside, I would have to excavate the chipmunk’s home. Better to keep the peace in our home by fixing the problem from the inside. Besides, it is cold out there in January. I’d rather work on this important energy saving project from the warmth of the basement.
After puzzling about how to fix the problem from the inside, I decided that I needed a can of insulating spray foam sealant for this job. Off I went to my favorite home improvement supply store. After spending several long seconds selecting the right brand of spray foam, I quickly grabbed a can of the one that was on sale and marched to the check out. As I marched along, I carefully avoided eye contact with all the other interesting products that were calling my name.
Back in the basement, I used a broom to sweep away the cobwebs and any loose material in the target zone. After wearing out my right arm shaking the can the required length of time, I started squirting the foam in the drafty corner.
Too late, I remembered you should wear old clothes or a hazardous materials suit if you are as sloppy as I am. This stuff really sticks to every thing it touches. I should have bought two cans to make up for the foam that got stuck to the floor and ceiling.
The next day I returned the scene and trimmed away the excess foam using my Ka-Bar knife. Good thing I am better with a knife than I am with a squirt can.
The result is a warmer basement and one less energy leak to worry about on the heating bill. It made a good wintertime indoor energy saving project. And, it was more fun than cleaning the basement.
Click here for a free money saving report written by the Energy Boomer titled HOW SAVE MONEY ON YOUR NEXT HEATING BILL